Things to Do in Calgary This August
Monday, July 27, 2015
You don’t need to pack your passport to travel the world this month. In August, Calgary plays host to an assortment of cultural and music festivals, parades and more!
- Catch the Calgary International Blues Festival July 27 - August 2 at Shaw Millennium Park. Featuring Walter “Wolfman” Washington, Bobby Rush, and the Harpoonist and the Axe Murderer, this family-friendly event is the perfect way to experience the best of Blues.
- From July 31 - August 8, head down to the Calgary Fringe Festival. This celebration of theatre features over 25 productions from around the world and all the ticket revenue goes to the artists involved.
- On August 1, the Inglewood Sunfest takes over 9th Ave SE. This family-focused event has a little something for everyone, including street performers, musicians, bouncers and more.
- Live Canada's history at Heritage Park on August 3. Tour the park by steam train, feast on early 20th century food, wander through the village and enjoy the other various activities celebrating our roots.
- Make your way down to Prince’s Island Park August 5 - 8 for Afrikadey!, Calgary's festival of African arts and culture. Join Rocky Dawuni, Melvina, Bata Osun and many more for three days of music, food and fun.
- For the Marda Gras Street Festival, be on the streets of Marda Loop on August 9 to explore the sights and sounds of New Orleans. Enjoy a variety of cultural performances, music, cuisine, the Kids Quarter and the Pet Pageant.
- Set aside some time August 13 - 22 for Opera in the Village, Canada's only professional outdoor summer opera festival. This year’s centrepiece will be Gilbert and Sullivan’s comedy The Mikado, and will also feature matinees of the Scorpion’s Sting.
- Bring your appetite down to Eau Claire’s Festival Plaza August 13 -16 for Taste of Calgary, the city’s favourite food festival. Sample hundreds of food and drink items from local restaurants and vendors.
- Be Calgary hosts Reggaefest on August 14 and 15 at Shaw Millennium Park. Bring the kids to explore the interactive kids zone, and enjoy the music of Canadian and international reggae artists. With a lot to see, do, eat and drink, there won’t be a dull moment.
- Be a part of the first ever Calgary Ribfest! August 14-16, Stephen Avenue will become BBQ heaven, turning out slow-cooked ribs, pulled pork and chicken, just to name a few. There will also be plenty of entertainment and demos to keep every member of the family smiling.
- Help the Calgary Stampeders and Purolator Tackle Hunger on August 15! Bring your non-perishable food or cash donation to McMahon Stadium and you could get the opportunity to be photographed with the Grey Cup. All donations will benefit the Calgary Food Bank.
- The annual Globalfest is back at Elliston Park August 17 - 29, featuring Cultural Pavilions, ethnic foods and beverages, stage entertainment and the popular fireworks displays. This year's fireworks will feature China, Philippines, Spain, the United States and Canada.
- Carifest showcases the arts and culture of the Caribbean. The 2015 event will be held on August 22, with a parade along Stephen Avenue and various performances and culinary delights waiting in Shaw Millennium Park.
- August 29 - September 7, the city will host the 25th annual Pride Calgary to bring the community together in a colourful, unforgettable way.
Make your summer vacation one to remember without ever leaving the city. This August, let Calgary take you on a journey you won’t soon forget.
View more articles like this one.